Rooms without doors are a common occurrence in modern interiors, but if you support traditional interior doors and are not going to abandon them, then this is the place for you. We will tell you what they are and how to choose interior doors.
What is the difference between modern interiors? Lack of partitions and interior doors. Many abandon them in favor of more space. However, you can’t do without doors, especially when you need to retire.
Doors with mirrors can create a fantastic aristocratic atmosphere in the interior. We can achieve airiness in space with the help of openwork glass inserts, and sliding mechanisms will help save precious meters. What other doors are there? Let’s consider the most popular types and analyze their advantages and weaknesses.
Classic Swing Doors
The oldest and most traditional human invention is swing doors. They have a simple design: we attach a box on which the hinges and a door leaf. We often find Platbands in the set.
Swing doors are:
- One and a half folding (one half is standard, the other is narrow).
When buying, you should pay attention to where the door opens: outward or inward. Consider the location of the future door, what kind of furniture will be next to it, and the dimensions of the interior doors.
Manufacturers offer convenient options: left and right. If you are comfortable opening swing doors with your right hand, the hinges locate on the right and vice versa.
- Swinging options fit into any interior.
- Their shapes are most often rectangular and arched.
- They are reliable and easy to use.
- Easy to replace fittings.
- They steal valuable space.
Sliding Doors with a Sliding Mechanism
Sliding doors, on the contrary, save space in the room. They create an attractive look in the interior, especially the wall-to-wall models. Their design is significantly different from swing doors. If necessary, such doors are easy to hide and combine two rooms into one whole space. It is an excellent option for small apartments.
If we purchase swing doors as separate parts (frame, door leaf), you need to buy the entire mechanism at once. There are several options. One of them is when the guides are installed directly on the walls. Although manufacturers now offer beautiful design solutions that may well become interior decoration. Then there is no point in hiding them.
If the passage is not comprehensive, then single-leaf models are pretty suitable. The standard and most popular are sliding double doors. In wide openings, we can use four-leaf options.
- Saving space.
- They are not afraid of curved walls since there are unique radius designs.
- There is no need to delimit the floor covering.
- If the door leaf is installed directly on the upper suspension, and at the same time, there is a high operational load on it, then it will not be able to serve for a long time.
- They are also short-lived with poor-quality fittings.
It looks like such mechanisms are arranged like a book. They are suitable for use in halls, living rooms, where there is a wide doorway.
There are two types of book doors. In one case, such a model is attached to the box with hinges, like swing models. And in the other – it is fixed thanks to the upper guides, like sliding options.
- Such doors make the interior special, attractive and exciting.
- In such kinds of doors, there is a functional inconvenience of the mechanism.
- The classic double-leaf book takes up part of the aisle. In this case, make your choice in favor of an accordion, which consists of narrow wings.
Rotary doors are an alternative to all the listed options. The mechanism allows you to open the door in any direction and turn around its axis. The guide of the structure is fixed in the doorway, or rather, in the upper part. The roto-door can move along the entire distance of the rail.
- This mechanism saves space.
- The door is specially designed for people with disabilities.
- There is a maximum permissible load on such doors, and it should be made of lightweight material. It will provide a longer service life for the rollers and grooves.
An essential factor that you need to pay attention to when buying doors is their appearance, durability, high strength, environmental friendliness.
These factors are mainly due to the choice of material from which the doors are made. Nowadays, manufacturers offer many exciting solutions. But the most popular are doors made from wood and wood-like materials such as MDF. These products are more expensive, especially if the doors are made of noble wood species.
Materials such as plastic, metal, glass are used to make the interior attractive or futuristic. Thanks to modern materials, designers have the opportunity to create exciting and very daring ideas.
Any products must be of high quality. When buying interior doors, you should pay attention to quality certificates, who the manufacturer is. Familiarize yourself with the main specifications and the instructions for use and care.
Inexpensive models are usually short-lived and not particularly beautiful. They require a caring attitude towards themselves. On the other hand, doors made of high-quality materials typically have an exquisite design and last for more than one year.