What is a lip balm, and what is it for? Learn all about this essential element in any makeup bag and organizer. A natural lip balm, which you can prepare at home, is an excellent alternative that you should consider.
What is a Lip Balm, and What is it For
Lip balm is not a new invention, and it was created in 1880 to keep this part of the face moisturized. It tends to dry out and flake. The cold, the heat, the absence of humidity, and even the wind can damage your lips, also bad habits such as biting and moistening them with your tongue. Many brands offer different lipsticks, with wax as the main ingredient and additions such as shea butter, lanolin, essential oils, hyaluronic acid, colorants, protection factors, and others.
Now, what is a lip balm for? First of all, keep your lips hydrated, moisturized, and soft. But, depending on the ingredients that compose it, they can also encourage their regeneration, protect them from the sun’s rays, the cold, and even give them color, shine, and flavor.
Remember that the skin of the lips is thin and relatively weak. It also does not have sebaceous glands or melanin to protect them. That is why a lip balm cannot be missing in your home. Don’t get carried away by any cheap lip balm with questionable ingredients. Learn how to make a homemade lip balm with natural ingredients.
How to Make a Lip Balm
The best lip balm can be prepared at home, with few ingredients and 100% natural, without unknown additives. Trust in the moisturizing power of shea butter and also take advantage of the properties of coconut oil and other essential oils such as peppermint and sweet almonds.
Do you want to know how to make lip balm? You have to get the following ingredients and prepare it to enjoy everything it has to offer.
- 4 tablespoons shea butter
- 5 drops of coconut oil
- 5 drops of peppermint or almond oil
- Preparing a natural lip balm is very easy. You must first take 4 tablespoons of shea butter, put them in a clean container. Heat it in a double boiler to soften the shea butter.
- Then add the essential oils, here I recommend coconut, mint, and almond oils, but you can also use jasmine, mustard, coriander, or orange peel.
- Mix until incorporated. Store in the fridge after use.
- If you want to turn it into a colored lip balm, you have to add a few drops of food coloring or edible color of the shade you prefer.
Tips and Tricks for Your Lips
With this simple homemade repairing lip balm, you can use other infallible beauty tricks to keep your lips healthy, beautiful, and always ready to show them off. If you are going to make this homemade lip balm, you can not stop trying the following tips.
- How to grow them naturally. Use some makeup tricks to make them look fuller and prettier. Remember that if you know the secrets of this art, you can modify those imperfections that you do not like so much on your face.
- Exercises for the lips. If you want to prevent or reduce wrinkles around the lips, do not forget to practice some exercises for this area.
- How to have beautiful lips. Hydrating, protecting, moisturizing, exfoliating, protecting, and brushing them are some of the most recommended beauty tricks so that you have those full and pink lips that you want.