When choosing wallpaper for a small kitchen, you need to pay attention to several key points. First of all, these are performance qualities – resistance to high humidity and temperature, durability, and ease of maintenance.
However, for small rooms, it is no less critical how they will look – after all, an incorrectly selected wall decoration can make the kitchen visually even smaller or even distort its proportions. Besides, do not forget that the walls are the background against which your furniture should look beautiful.
What to Consider When Choosing Wallpaper for a Small Kitchen
When you are deciding on wallpaper for your small kitchen, there are a few things to keep in mind. First, the wall itself should be big enough to accommodate the size of the wallpaper. Second, the wallpaper should be easy to clean. And finally, it is important to choose a wallpaper that will complement the existing décor in your kitchen. Here are some tips for choosing wallpaper for a small kitchen:
1) Size is key when selecting wallpaper for a small kitchen. Make sure the wall is big enough to fit the size of the wallpaper you choose.
2) Wallpaper should be easy to clean. Choose a wallpaper that is made from materials that are easy to clean, such as paper or vinyl.
3) Wallpaper should complement the existing décor in your kitchen. Be sure to consider the style of your kitchen and choose a wallpaper that will look good with it.
Tips for Choosing the Right Wallpaper for a Small Kitchen
When decorating a small kitchen, it can be not easy to find wallpapers that will both look good and fit the space. Here are some tips for choosing the right wallpaper for a small kitchen:
1. Think about your style. Do you want a sleek, modern look or something more traditional?
2. Consider the colors you have in your kitchen. Many small kitchens only have a limited number of colors, so it’s important to pick ones that work well together.
3. Remember that a small kitchen doesn’t need as much detail as a larger one, so go with simpler designs or patterns instead of intricate ones.
4. If you’re not sure what kind of wallpaper to choose, ask a friend or family member for advice. They’ll likely have some ideas of their own based on their own style and home decorating preferences.
How to Choose Wallpaper for a Small Kitchen
To make the right choice, you need to decide on the type, color scheme, and style solution of the wall covering and consider the budget allocated for repairs. The style and color are chosen to take into account the type of the apartment, the color of the kitchen furniture, the general illumination, the location of the kitchen (orientation to the cardinal points), and your own preferences.
But the most important parameter that has to be reckoned with is if the kitchen is small in size in the area and the height of the room allocated for it. There are many types of wall coverings on the market, so it can be challenging to choose wallpaper for a small kitchen. Let’s consider various options from the point of view of their applicability in kitchens.
- Paper. Paper wallpaper is the most budgetary option. Available in a variety of colors for easy selection. Plus, it’s the most environmentally friendly wallpaper available. There are two disadvantages: they are short-lived, and besides, they cannot be washed if they become dirty, which happens quite often in the kitchen.
- Non-woven. They have a textured base, withstand wet cleaning, and are more durable than paper ones. Minus – the top layer is relatively soft; it is easy to damage it, especially in families with small children and pets.
- Vinyl. Washable wallpaper for a small kitchen is made of vinyl. They have a high density and strength, and dirt can be easily removed from them. Vinyl wallpapers come in different types; you cannot use only one in the kitchen – foamed vinyl. Cons – this material does not “breathe”; besides, it is pretty expensive.
Wallpaper Design for a Small Kitchen
There are standard design techniques that allow even a small room with low ceilings to be made more spacious and correct some layout flaws. Use color and the right pattern to make your kitchen look stylish, modern, and more significant.
- Color. The first rule is that there should be no dark walls in small rooms. The lighter the walls are, the larger it seems. Modern wallpaper for a small kitchen, as a rule, has light shades. Soft tones seem to “recede” from the person looking at them, while dark tones, on the contrary, “advance,” “approach.” This effect is used if they want to correct the room’s proportions; for example, in a long “carriage” room, narrow walls are pasted over in dark tones, and the rest in light ones.
- Tone. Colors are divided into warm and cold colors. Red, yellow, and orange are warm tones, blue, blue, and some shades of purple are cold. Green can be considered universal; it is the most favorable for human perception. Warm tones can visually “bring closer” objects, cold ones, on the contrary, “move away from” them. The color of wallpaper for a small kitchen should be chosen from a complex range – this will help make it a little larger.
- Picture. Large drawings “crush” the room, due to which it seems smaller. It is better to choose a small, almost invisible pattern that is not conspicuous. Vertical lines of the picture will allow you to “raise” the ceiling, horizontally – to expand the walls. Photo wallpaper and wallpaper with prints (floral, plant) can be used in a small kitchen only on the part of the walls, as decorative elements; in this case, the rest of the walls should be monochromatic.
Wallpaper Designs for a Small Kitchen
Pasting all walls with the same wallpaper is no longer relevant today. As a rule, designers are advised to combine different tones and textures to achieve interesting interior effects while not forgetting that small rooms require adherence to specific design rules. Here are some examples of the use of wallpaper in small kitchens.
- Combining colors. Use light peach or creamy white as your base tone. Cover some of the walls with brighter wallpaper of strawberry and grassy tones. You can combine light beige as the primary color with turquoise azure and sunny yellow as accent colors.
- We place accents. Against the general pastel background, one of the walls can be highlighted with bright wallpaper. If the kitchen is tiny, select not the entire wall but part of the wall, for example, near the dining table.
- Add a twist. Modern wallpaper for a small kitchen, as a rule, has light colors and can look dull. To liven up the room, do not forget about color accents – these can be borders, stripes of wallpaper in a contrasting color, as well as wallpaper with a textured surface.
In the wallpaper design for a small kitchen, more than two different patterns or textures should not be combined. For example, a strict ornament looks good in combination with its elements scattered over the background. The style of the picture and the adornment should be the same; for example, it can be geometric elements, or individual flowers scattered over the background, combined with a border of a continuous ribbon of bouquets.
Combination of Wallpaper with Furniture
To choose the suitable wallpaper for a small kitchen that visually enlarges the space, you need to consider a lot of factors, including the size, color, and style of the furniture that will be located against their background. The wallpaper should be almost invisible if the furniture has a pretentious shape and bright color.
If you use furniture of simple shapes and light neutral colors, the wallpaper can be brighter. Furniture and wallpaper of the same color, but different textures, are also well combined. For example, white glossy cabinet fronts look especially advantageous in a small kitchen against the background of old plaster wallpaper. Matte white furniture surfaces harmoniously look against the backdrop of smooth wallpaper with a pattern.
When you have a small kitchen, it can be tough to find the right wallpaper for the space. You want something that will add personality and dimension to the room, but you also don’t want it to take up too much floor space or distract from your cooking area. Here are some tips on how to choose the wallpaper for a small kitchen:
- Look for wallpaper with interesting patterns or textures. This will help tie in the rest of your décor in the room and give the kitchen its own unique look.
- Go for neutral colors if possible—this will allow you to mix and match different pieces of wallpaper without having to worry about clashes.
- Try out floating wallpapers—these panels can be easily moved around so they’re always in view, but they won’t block your view of anything else in the room.