If you are remodeling your kitchen or setting it up for the first time, you will most likely want to select the best countertop for your needs. Many people prefer laminate countertops over other worktops, such as marble or Silestone, not because it is the best or most durable material, but because it is usually less expensive. Laminate countertops can still be an excellent choice if you understand their advantages and keep them well-maintained.
The advantages and downsides of laminate countertops will be discussed next. This will allow you to select the laminated list better and, more importantly, determine whether it is a viable solution for you.
If you want to learn about the benefits, drawbacks, and maintenance requirements for these types of countertops, keep reading. We’ll go over the many types and materials of countertops that you might like.
Laminate countertops consist of a layered base of laminates manufactured of a synthetic substance. They offer the option of having several finishes to appeal to the consumer’s preferences. Laminate countertops with steel, wood, or stone finishes are the most frequent. They are frequently less expensive than other countertops, such as marble or Silestone.
It has a thickness of around 30mm and a density of 600 kilograms per cubic meter. The major section is made of a laminate that is laminated and pressed, with each layer having a thickness of roughly 1 or 2 mm, depending on the countertop manufacturer and its qualities.
This sort of material is frequently used for counters in secondary kitchens, kitchen bars, and, in certain situations, the main kitchen. It will be determined by each person’s preferences and financial constraints. Following that, we’ll go over the benefits and drawbacks of each style of countertop.
Advantages of Laminate Countertops
You are correct if you believe it is a fantastic alternative for kitchen remodeling and that it is also practical. The following are some of the benefits that can be seen:
- It has a reasonable price, albeit it will vary according to the size and materials used, as well as the manufacturing technique, which is more or less expensive. Even the most expensive solutions, such as the ones mentioned above, are still much less expensive.
- There are several designs to pick from, so depending on the type of decoration you want in your kitchen, you may find one that best suits you. You can also select different textures based on your preferences.
- It is also an adjustable and ergonomic surface because it may be utilized for a variety of purposes.
Disadvantages of Laminate Countertops
Laminate countertops, like everything else in life, have drawbacks that you should be aware of before purchasing this sort of material.
- It is a delicate and moisture-sensitive substance. They swell and deform when exposed to water, therefore it may only be temporary. Furthermore, it is a material that is particularly sensitive to rapid temperature changes or excessive heat.
- They’re not as durable as other forms of harder materials or names. This will restrict the amount of time it may be used, and its appearance will deteriorate with time. Other materials do not have this issue, therefore if it is for a kitchen that will be used frequently, it is advisable to choose a more resistant and durable material.
Basic Care of Laminate Countertops
To extend the life of laminate countertops, you must understand the basic maintenance requirements.
- Sharp things should be avoided because it scratches readily. Knives and forks, for example, can detract from the overall appearance. Cutting boards should be used whenever you are working on them. This way, you won’t scratch it, and you can avoid it by utilizing cutting boards!
- Although the heat resistance of these types of countertops has substantially increased, they are still sensitive, therefore it is vital to prevent contact with objects that are excessively hot, such as pots or pans that have recently been used at high temperatures.
- Use caution when cleaning the countertop with abrasive products; also, anti-limescale treatments are not recommended.
- Aluminum scouring pads or other similar cleaning materials should not be used to clean the laminate countertop since they might irrevocably scratch the material. To clean it effectively and avoid scratches, it is advisable to use fiber towels or scouring pads.
Although laminate countertops are attractive, they are less durable and delicate than other materials such as marble, stone, or Silestone. The finest part is that its pricing and finish are both quite appealing, but you must take care of it to avoid damage.